Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Coffee, My Weak Spot

I love coffee.

Absolutely love it.

There was a time, when I was in college, that I would drink four or more medium coffees from Dunkin Donuts in a day.  When I sat down last December and did my very first budget for January I was shocked to learn that I was spending almost $90 dollars a week on my coffee habit.  Of course, I didn't have that much extra spending cash so I was using my credit cards to pay for most of it.  I couldn't believe it.

The very next day I went out and bought a small coffee maker and a can of coffee for my house.  The first few months were rough as I was still drinking a large amount of coffee however, after slowly reducing how much I drank I am down to two cups every morning and that is it.  Instead of spending almost $90.00 dollars a week on coffee that I had to finance with credit I am spending just about $6.00 every two weeks that I am paying for in cash.

It is the little things that make me happy I guess.

On another note, no spend Monday was a success.  If I can make it through the next two days without spending anything, and can manage to keep my driving to a minimum, I'll have an extra ten dollars come payday to add to my emergency fund.

-23DID

6 comments:

  1. Hi! So glad you commented on our blog so I could find you! Congratulations on waking up and tackling your debt at such a young age. Had you ignored it, you'd be in my shoes in no time :O I look forward to following your progress. .... Oh, and it IS the little things that add up - like coffee. Good job on figuring that out!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and welcome! I am new to the PF blogging world as well and I look forward to following your progress while also making some of my own. You can make it through those 2 no spend days, just keep reminding yourself of how much better things will be in the long run once your debt is paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a pretty serious coffee habit myself. It has gotten better but yeah, making coffee at home is much cheaper than buying it out.

    Although, I will say this, there is really no comparison to DD coffee from the store and any homemade coffee (even using their branded stuff). I don't know what it is but you can't perfectly replicate it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sarah...Thank you for being so supportive! My friends just don't understand why I am trying to do what I am doing. I am really excited I have found other people who are trying to do the same thing I am. :-)

    @WOHM ... Thank you! I am doing pretty good on these no spending days. I think I will be able to do the whole rest of the week without spending anything ... as long as my car doesn't need anymore gas which at this moment is 50/50.

    @Kevin ... There really is no comparison to DD coffee. I had a friend that worked there and he said they did nothing different when brewing theirs but I think he was lying because coffee just doesn't taste the same at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coffee is my weakness too... I buy a bag of Fair-trade, organic coffee every 2 weeks. Still pricey, but cheaper than going to SB every morning! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Carla AHH the dreaded SB. My college ran two SB's when I was there and I would seriously drop five dollars on my latte every morning while going to class and not even think about it. Making my own coffee has been such a change but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete