Thursday, August 4, 2011

I'm Going to Need a New Car Soon

When I started to focus on my debt at the beginning of the year all my friends thought I was crazy.  I suddenly stopped going out with them and suggested having stay in nights instead of going out nights.  This was completely backwards from their way of thinking which was still stuck in the college mode.  Needless to say that I really don't see them much anymore, which I am okay with.

I did see one of my friends last night and I was shocked to find that he was driving a brand new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee which has a starting MSRP north of 30 grand (he really isn't the brightest bulb in the box so I would put good money on the fact that he paid almost full price for it).  I honestly couldn't believe it.  While we were hanging out he was complaining how hard it was to make all of his bills and how he was working a full time job as well as two part time jobs.  I really had no sympathy for him because he didn't need the new Jeep.  He was driving a 2008 Honda Civic that was in really good condition but he just bought the Jeep because he felt he deserved it.  What kind of thinking is that?! You deserved it?  I was so mad at him for it.  That being said I offered to help him work out a budget to somehow make it all work for him, so we are doing that later this week.

The moral of this story is this, I know that I will need a new car soon.  The one I am driving now is coming up on being fifteen years old and while it still drives pretty good I have had to sink almost seven grand (thank you mom and dad for fronting most of that money and then forgiving the debt as my birthday and Christmas gift last year) into it over the last few years.  I've decided that once the next major thing breaks (which I think will be the transmission) I am going to have it towed back to my parents house because they want it back and I am going to by a new (used but new to me) car.  I will most likely buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee or something similar to that because even though they are expensive and eat a lot of gas, commuting to and from my job in the winter is going to be rough and I feel safer in a bigger car.

I spent most the wee hours of the morning looking at prices for new (used) cars and I realized that while I want one really really bad I'm better off waiting another year or so before I attempt to purchase one (that is if my current car agrees).  There's no way I could swing a loan right now.  That fact depressed me but also inspired me to continue to pay off my credit cards and to save save save.

3 comments:

  1. I think having a car you feel secure in is worth the extra money, especially when you're commuting all the time! New cars are crazy expensive, glad you're going used, but "new" to you! :) I added you to my blogroll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read all about my car woes at my blog. I feel ya. My suggestion though....get yourself a beater car. Don't take on a big loan. Just get yourself something that will get you from point A to point B. You have all the time in the world for a bigger car. The gas and such is a huge expense. If you really want a bigger car, you don't need an SUV...look for a full size sedan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Carla Thank you so much!!! I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete